In a world where technology is constantly evolving, businesses need to adapt and find new ways to communicate with their teams. When it comes to frontline employees, SMS (short message service) is the clear winner for effective business communication.
From its widespread availability to its ability to reach workers in real time, there are many reasons why SMS should be your go-to tool for keeping your team informed and engaged. In this post, we'll explore the benefits of using SMS as well as some tips on how to make the most of this powerful business communication tool.
So sit back, relax, and get ready to discover why SMS is the best choice for effective frontline employee communication!
Introduction: What is SMS & Key Benefits
SMS, or Short Message Service, is a text messaging service that is used to send and receive short messages between two or more mobile devices. SMS has been around since the early 1990s and is now one of the most widely used written communication tools in the world. It can even be used for SMS marketing.
There are many benefits of using SMS for internal business communication, including:
- SMS is quick and easy to use, making it ideal for busy frontline workers who need to communicate quickly and efficiently.
- SMS is a highly reliable form of business communication, with messages typically being delivered within seconds through WiFi or a cellular network.
- SMS is a cost-effective form of internal communication, especially when compared to other forms of mobile communication such as voice calls.
- SMS can be used to reach employees who are not always able to receive traditional forms of communication such as email or phone calls, such as when they are working in remote locations, field locations, or on the go.
- SMS messages can be easily stored and accessed for future reference, unlike other forms of mobile communication such as voice calls which are often not recorded.
- SMS provides businesses with a way to track and monitor employee communications, allowing them to identify any potential issues or problems quickly and efficiently.
- SMS is personal. Unlike mass emails or group chats, SMS allows you to communicate one-on-one with each employee.
- SMS is interactive. With features like two-way messaging and click-to-call, you can easily keep the lines of communication open between managers and employees thus increasing frontline employee engagement.
Overall, SMS provides a quick, reliable, and cost-effective way for businesses to communicate with their frontline employees. This makes it the ideal tool for organizations of all sizes.
How SMS Enhances Frontline Employee Communication
There are several ways in which SMS can enhance business communication.
First, SMS provides a quick and easy way for employees to communicate with each other. This is especially important in fast-paced environments where employees need to be able to communicate quickly and efficiently while in the field.
Second, SMS is a great way to keep employees informed about company news and updates. This is especially important for frontline employees who may not have regular access to email or other forms of communication.
Third, SMS text messages can be used to coordinate shift changes and schedule reminders. This is especially helpful for employees who work in shifts or have irregular schedules.
With all of these advantages, it’s no wonder that more and more businesses are using SMS to communicate with their frontline employees!
Using SMS to Send Company Updates
SMS is the best tool for frontline communication because it is fast, efficient, and reliable. It allows managers to send important updates and announcements to employees promptly, and employees can receive and respond to messages quickly and easily.
Additionally, SMS is a more personal form of communication than email or other forms of digital messaging, so employees are more likely to pay attention to and remember important information that is sent via SMS.
There are even options to tailor messaging year-round to your frontline workers with tools such as the goHappy Communications Calendar.
Tips for Effective Messaging with SMS
- Keep it brief: SMS is a great way to communicate with frontline employees because it is quick and to the point. Keep your messages brief and to the point, so that employees can easily understand and act on them.
- Be clear: Make sure your messages are clear and concise so that frontline employees can understand them quickly and take action accordingly.
- Timing is everything: Timing is crucial when sending SMS messages to frontline employees. Make sure to send messages during times when employees are most likely to be able to read and respond to them.
- Personalize your messages: Personalized messages are more likely to be read and responded to by frontline employees. Take the time to personalize your SMS messages, so that they feel like they are coming from a real person face to face rather than a faceless entity.
- Follow up: Don’t just send SMS messages and forget about it – follow up!
Check in with frontline employees after they receive your message to see if they have any questions or need clarification on anything.
SMS VS. MMS
SMS and MMS are two different types of text messaging.
SMS stands for Short Message Service and is limited to 160 characters. MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service and can include multimedia content such as photos and videos.
While MMS is not technically video conferencing, it can allow you to send videos by message.
So, which is better for frontline employee communication? The answer may surprise you: SMS is actually the better option in most cases!
Here’s the short answer to why: SMS is more immediate, more ubiquitous, less expensive, and simpler.
With the right SMS tools in place, frontline employees can stay connected and informed on any issue quickly and effectively both internally and externally. This saves both time and money while providing a better customer service experience.
The use of SMS for frontline employee communication has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to keep your team connected and up-to-date with all the latest news, rules, regulations, procedures, etc.
No matter what industry you are in or how large your organization is, SMS is an invaluable tool that will help ensure that everyone involved is on the same page.
Speaking of the values of SMS messaging for business communication: goHappy can be a simple and easy-to-use frontline employee communication tool to streamline communications and help empower HR and organizational leadership to have their workers feel more valued and connected.
With goHappy, you can easily communicate with frontline employees through texting to help streamline your business communication strategy.
Find more frontline engagement solutions here!